Day 10 - The Actual Last Day, We're Home!!


Well, we had one more day here than we thought! We all slept in, then enjoyed breakfast at the house followed by a soccer game. The most impressive thing at the soccer game was that Mrs. Harrison was MVP in the goal! She had like 10 stops! We spent the rest of the day napping, packing, and playing some games, before we left to go to the Mall for dinner, some hang out time, and to see the movie Onward. We got back to the house around 12:30 and since we were leaving at 3 AM for the airport most people pulled an all nighter!










Now our team is back in the States and all enjoying some much needed showers, naps, and delicious American food! Below are the final thoughts from our team to wrap up this year's trip. Be looking out for one more post where we'll link our highlight video for all to watch!



Final Team Thoughts:

  • Rebecca - This trip made me fall in love with the people, culture, and country of Costa Rica. Despite every difference and every setback, I have been so encouraged and inspired by Costa Ricans and our experiences. I have been so blessed to participate in this service.
  • Abigail - This was my first time out of the country, and I was so encouraged by the kindness and selflessness of the people in Costa Rica. The landscape, food, and culture of Costa Rica was very different from what I am accustomed to, and I was so thankful for this new experience. 
  • Emma C - Going to Costa Rica for the first time was an amazing experience, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity to learn about other cultures. This trip has ignited my love for travel and I'm excited for adventures in the future.
  • Kyle - Costa Rica was very fun! Year two in a row of going and this year had its ups and downs but overall made some amazing memories at waterfalls, churches and beaches. I truly do enjoy this country very much.
  • Jadon - Being able to go to Costa Rica for the first time was very eye opening. I saw many things that are so much different than anything I'm used to in America. It was really fun to participate in all the activities and it was a life changing trip. 
  • Spencer - This trip opened my eyes to so many new things. I loved experiencing a different culture and all the adventures it entailed. I am very grateful that I was able to go on this trip with such an amazing team. This will definitely be a trip I'll remember for the rest of my life. 
  • Michael - I had a lot of fun on this trip. Being able to see the differences in the culture was cool. It was a good opportunity to go and serve the Lord through sports and camps. It made me realize how blessed I am to have what I have. 
  • Drew - Costa Rica was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. This trip expanded my idea of cultures and how we are all really just people at the end of the day. The trip overall can be described in one word and that would be gnarly.
  • Elise - Costa Rica was such a fun trip and a great experience. I loved getting to know the culture of Costa Rica, and trying new things. I am very grateful for this experience and what I learned on this trip. 
  • Hayden - I am so grateful to have gotten the opportunity to go to Costa Rica this spring. Experiencing the new culture and environment was very new and I loved all of it. I love Costa Rica and the people in it and I hope to come back in the near future.
  • Skyler - I'm so excited I came on this trip because I became closer with my friends, teachers, and people of Costa Rica. It was very beautiful and I loved the warm ocean. This was definitely a trip to remember my whole life : )
  • Jacee - Going to Costa Rica for the second year in a row was one of the best experiences of my life. I always enjoy connecting with the people at Valley while also meeting new people. Every adventure we went on and everything we did, I enjoyed experiencing the culture and landscape. I have fallen in love with this country and hope to come back again.
  • Jacob - I had such an amazing experience going to Costa Rica for the first time. During this trip, I realized how blessed I am to life the life I live on a daily basis. It was amazing to spread God's love through the sport I love. 
  • Logan - Going for a second time to Costa Rica was even better. It was awesome to see people from the first trip, and make new memories with new people. It was once again a life changing experience and I would not trade it for anything.
  • Tanner - I had a blast and enjoyed playing with the kids and seeing God's untouched creation. I am so glad a came back this year, it was amazing!
  • Mrs. Harrison - This was my first Valley Engage trip, and although I did not know what to expect, the group of students and staff were amazing at participating in all the activities and also being flexible with all the changes that took place. Throughout this experience in Costa Rica, I was reminded of our God's goodness and faithfulness in the lives of His people everywhere. God is at work in the little and big ways and I'm so blessed to be a part of His work. 
  • Clausen - While this year's trip definitely had its setbacks with activities being cancelled due to the Coronavirus, I LOVED that this year's group was so flexible and had such good attitudes the whole time. At the beginning of the trip it was definitely split up into guys and girls groups, but by our last dinner last night Ronny and I both noticed that everyone was mixed together hanging out, talking, and laughing together... it was awesome to see. I loved that everyone was open to a new experience, whether it was food, drinks, zip-lining, or playing with kids! Our trip is very different from some of the other Engage trips because of the nature of the work that we do, but I love that our kids can use sports to connect with people across the world and develop friendships and relationships because of that shared passion. I am so thankful for the help of Mrs. Harrison and the Timmers and couldn't imagine anyone else chaperoning this trip this year! And as always, I'm so so thankful to Ronald and the Rodrigues family for hosting us and allowing us to spend time with them, serving alongside them and their ministry in Costa Rica. It is so neat to not only see my relationship deepen with them every year, but this year it was extra special to see our returning kids reconnect with them and with so many kids and coaches from different teams around San Jose! I really pray that the friendships we built on this trip, the conversations about God and His will for our lives, and the many crazy memories we made on our adventures would stick with these kids as they come back to Valley. I hope with all of our Engage Trips that our kids come back with a new perspective, a grateful heart for what we've been blessed with, and the understanding that there are amazing people who are going great work for Jesus all across the world. Thank you all for trusting us with your kids this week, for investing in their lives through giving toward their trips, and for praying for us along the way! It was a great trip and I can't wait for you to watch the highlight video in the near future! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 - Day 8: Widow’s Ministry, Souvenir Shopping, and our Last (?) Team Meal

2023 - Final Trip Thoughts and Reflections

2023 - Day 4, Part 2: Team Reflections