Day 6 - Deep in Rica

Today we woke up EARLY to head to Turrialba, where we were going to start our ziplining and waterfall repelling adventure! The drive there is on extremely windy mountain roads through the BEAUTIFUL countryside of Costa Rica. We got to the base camp and immediately got harnessed up and learned all we needed to know about ziplining and repelling!

Unfortunately we have absolutely no photos from today, which is a huge bummer because it was an EPIC adventure, but also makes it all the more sweet because we were completely surrounded and focused on the beauty of creation while we were there...no distractions about trying to get their best instagram shots!

The whole thing was a series of four waterfalls we repelled, three zip lines we flew across, a hanging bridge we walked across...all through the beautiful rainforest! We definitely had a few who were afraid (including myself), but we all made it through! Everyone was cheering each other on when they were waiting their turn, which was one of the highlights. When we were finished we came back to base camp for lunch, then we made a stop at the grocery store for some much needed snacks (soda and chips!).











Later in the afternoon we went to Kaffa, the coffee shop the Rodrigues family spends their down time at. We loved hanging out and enjoying some delicious drinks and snacks. This evening we did debrief and devotions where we learned more about what Gideon did with his army of 300, and we laughed that God can use crazy things, like breaking jars and flames to intimidate the enemy, and causing a victory for His glory.

After devotions we started the Great Costa Rican Ping Pong Tournament 2020, we've played through a few rounds and those who are remaining are: Josue, Spencer, Jadon, Ronny, Tanner, Logan, Jacob, Skyler, and Hayden!! We can't wait for the finals on Friday night!







Team Thoughts -- Since this was our last night as a whole team (Emma R and Bre have to leave in the morning), we had everyone share one reflection and then give a put up for another person on the team! 

  • Jacee - The rainforest was fun, but driving there and seeing all the green hills and the cows was my favorite part, it was SO beautiful! Michael - He hangs in my friend group, but seeing him in a new light helping out the kids and bonding with new people was really cool! 
    • Michael - He thought it was interesting how unpredictable the whole adventure was, especially the water levels! It looked shallow, then all the sudden he'd be up to his neck! Kyle - Kyle and I have never hung out before this trip, but ever since we were put in the same room together he has been so welcoming and nice. I also really liked seeing you work with kids! 
    • Kyle - I loved when we were driving there today, it feels like a totally different world! So green and beautiful, totally different than the US! Tanner - I just want to shout you out for your spirit of joy the whole trip! You are always happy and having fun!  
    • Tanner - As I shared with you, I'm extremely afraid of wasps, so today after Logan got stung I had to remind myself to breathe, and calm down, it was a challenge! Clausen - I just want to shout you out because you are always giving compliments and you just gave me one that made my day.
    • Clausen - My favorite thing was being in nature - untouched, which we so rarely do! It was also so cool to see you all interacting and cheering each other on. I was also really proud of ALL of us for finishing it, even if some of us were terrified (Jacob, Clausen, Elise, Bre). Elise - you are one of the students I feel like I knew the least coming into this trip, but I want to shout you out for being so flexible, especially when it comes to food, you never complain. I also have noticed you always serving and willing to cheer people on! 
    • Elise - I just think it's so crazy how they attach all the wire and lines to the trees! Spencer - I thought it was really cool to see how involved you were with the kids this week. You were always helping! 
    • Spencer - At the first waterfall it was so unpredictable! I was in the middle and I saw Elise below me and she was dumped on with water, but I was fine, just slippery! Tanner and Emma R - I just wanted to shout you both out for your enthusiasm, even when you're tired you're not grumpy. Side note - Spencer was quite grumpy when we realized our bus was going the wrong direction for 30 minutes, so seeing Emma and Tanner happy kept him up. 
    • Emma R - Waterfall repelling was SO fun!! I hate to say it was practice in problem solving, but it was! It was fun to overcome something we've never done before as a team. It was also fun talking to people I wouldn't normally talk to at school and getting to know them! Mrs. Harrison - She is a leader, she's selfless, she's always asking if everyone is okay. I was happy to get to know here a bit more this trip! 
    • Mrs. Harrison - She stayed behind today, but she was just praying for us to have a good experience. She enjoyed sitting outside, listening to the birds and taking in the beauty of the area. She was reminded that her normal life is so rushed, so it was nice to rest a bit! Emily - She enjoyed watching her take everything in for the first time. She loves her childlike curiosity and the way she makes sure everyone is okay, she has a mother's heart. 
    • Emily - Her favorite part (to Spencer's dismay) was when we got turned around because it was just SO beautiful seeing the countryside! She also was pumped about the whole activity until she fell on the first waterfall and got hurt, so she just had to take deep breaths, remind herself to chill out, and remember that she's in the rainforest on a Tuesday, pretty cool! Rebecca - Loves that Rebecca is just open to everything, she goes with the flow, but she also asks good questions! 
    • Rebecca - Just loves being in that environment - the waterfall repelling and zip lining was so much fun! It hurt at times, but I just felt so peaceful while we were waiting in the rainforest and while we were driving through the countryside! Abby - I hang out with her a lot, so I see this all the time, but even more on this trip...she is so prepared and acts like a mom - she is selfless, she never complains, she’s positive, she puts other people first, she sits in the middle seat, and she lets people use her charger! 
    • Abby - Not going to lie, I wasn’t excited about the adventure today because there are two things I hate. 1. Not being in control 2. The outdoors, but I had SO much fun! I had to put lots of trust in others and in myself! Drew - Drew is so positive, she is not judgemental and always meets people where they are, especially the kids! 
    • Drew - Enjoyed everything about today! She normally has no down time to relax, so while she was standing in line sometimes she would just close her eyes and listen to the water and it felt so refreshing! Jacee - They hang in the same friend group, but she’s gotten to know her a lot better on this trip and Jacee is a pretty dope person! 
    • Jacee already debriefed above! Skyler - she didn’t know him at all before this trip, but know they are in the same Algebra class, cool! Skyler has an amazing personality and laughs things off, like when he fell, he acted like he cared, but then he got right back it the game and laughed along with everyone else. 
    • Skyler - I loved the jungle! Like if I had nothing and I had to live somewhere, I could live in the jungle! The waterfalls were deceiving because they would go on forever! Also, I’m not really afraid of heights, but on the waterfall where we had to walk over the pole I have never felt more scared and alone trying to make the decision to go down, but I did it! Logan - You’re just a leader. You always played with the kids and only sat down one time. Even when some of us weren’t doing our best and you may have been annoyed at us it didn’t show. 
    • Logan - I just had this moment during our adventure today where I realized, we’re really in the middle of the jungle in Costa Rica right now repelling a waterfall...that’s crazy!! Jacob - Everything that happens with Jacob is funny and great. He has a great attitude. 
    • Jacob - Not going to lie, I HATED it while we were going through it because I am so afraid of heights and was afraid I was going to fall and hit my head, and then I went on the deep part of the waterfall and got wet, but then I got to the trail where the sun was and realized it wasn’t so bad! I made a joke all day that if it’s God’s will for me to die today oh well, but then I realized on a serious note that that’s true, and after that I had a lot more fun. Spencer - I’ve known Spencer for a long time and it’s been fun watching his leadership grow. He used to be so quiet, but now he’s so easy to listen to and I have a lot of respect for him. He gives a lot of good ideas.
    • Spencer already debriefed above. Jadon - He already knew Jadon, but he had no idea how much Jadon loved to sing songs until they became roomies on this trip! 
    • Jadon - Reflected on going down the rope on the waterfall where he was drenched in the cold water and his heart was racing and he was scared, but then he made it through and had fun! Logan - He was really a leader on this trip and a main voice for all the kids to listen to! 
    • Logan debriefed above. Hayden - Hayden made all the long bus rides really fun today! 
    • Hayden - She just kept thinking, well, if I’m going to die it’ll happen regardless! She also was laughing because we were in the middle of the rainforest and she thought, “This looks just like the rainforest cafe” until she realized the rainforest cafe actually looks like what we were seeing! Bryan - Thanks for always checking in on me and my ankle, thanks for caring! 
    • Bryan - Absolutely hated the bus ride (Side note: we had to pull over for Bryan because he got car sick), but repelling is AWESOME! I loved it! I was concerned because I outweigh every single one of those guides, but we made it! Also, everything in San Jose is so gated and closed off, but I love how at the Kaffa Cafe they designed it so it feels so open despite being in the middle of the city! Emma C - It’s been fun getting to know all the volleyball girls a little bit more, Emma is so competitive on the court, but it was really cool to see her hanging out with the kids and seeing her really sweet side! 
    • Emma C - Even though being in the jungle there were times that were difficult she also noticed that she found places for her feet to fit perfectly and that the trees parted perfectly! God made all of this and we get to enjoy it! Bre - The whole trip, but especially today, she has been so open minded, she may get a little stressed, but she never lets it get the best of her! She has an intense determination, energy, and presence! 
    • Bre - Originally when Clausen told me what we were doing I envisioned Niagara Falls, so I thought, I just won’t do it! Once I knew everyone was doing it and saw it was not Niagara Falls, I decided I’m doing it! It was a really fun experience, not something I would have chosen to do myself, but I’m glad I had the experience and proud of myself for doing it! The Guys - You guys just have fun in a way the girls don’t, you’re so silly and don’t care what people think! 
    Then finally, Mrs. Harrison noted down some of the things the kids said when they were debriefing and noticed that everything they said can describe their relationship with Christ—it can be challenging and painful, but we have to trust. We’re not in control, which is scary and makes us want to cry, but God meets us where we’re at and He makes so much for us to enjoy, we need to just close our eyes and take it in!

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    2023 - Day 8: Widow’s Ministry, Souvenir Shopping, and our Last (?) Team Meal

    2023 - Final Trip Thoughts and Reflections

    2023 - Day 4, Part 2: Team Reflections